Fun Facts

Check out our fun nature facts for kids and learn about awesome topics including recycling, energy conservation, global warming, water, decomposition and more! Send us your favorites to add!

Each ton of recycled paper can save 17 trees, 380 gallons of oil, three cubic yards of landfill space, 4,000 kilowattsof energy and 7,000 gallons of water! acorn
acorn squirrel A hot water faucet that leaksone drop per second can add up to 165 gallons a month– more than one person uses in two weeks.
Energy saved from one recycled aluminum can will operate a TV set for 3 hours, and is the equivalent to half a can of gasoline. acorn
thrifty threads Every time you open therefrigerator door, up to30% of the cold air can escape.
Each year, Americans throw away 25 trillion Styrofoam cups. caterpillar game
greenometer When you turn on anincandescent light bulb, only 10% of the electricity used is turned into light. The other 90% is wasted as heat.
Homeowners use up to 10 times more toxic chemicals per acre than farmers. landfill bill
energy champions Every year, more than $13 billion worth of energy leaks from houses through small holes and cracks — over $150 per family!
Chewing gum is the second most common litter, behind only Cigarette butts!
500 million plastic straws are used per day. That’s enough to circle the Earth 2.5 times!

How long does it take to decompose?